Followers

Wednesday 28 January 2015

Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again...



A have special project to share today, the front cover of a Tim Holtz Collection Folio I am making up to capture the memories of the trip I took last year, featuring Travelling Betty from Simply B Stamps.


When I saw the awesome Travelling Betty I knew she would be perfect for this, especially as we got to meet and hang out with Betty herself on the trip.  My folio is inspired by the beautiful work of Paula Cheney whose example of one Tim showed in a video for the release of them is what got me wanting to get my hands on one in the first place.  I’ve borrowed some of Paula’s techniques and her use of a Word Band on the elastic closure, including altering the band.  In my case I rubbed some Rub’n’Buff on to make it a bit more grungy.



I wanted the cover to be somewhat grungy, I guess because that is really my style but pretty at the same time.  I raided my stash and came up trumps with the gorgeous paper from an old Creative Memories collection.  I just kept going on the stash items playing along with Craft Hoarders Anonymous’ current challenge.  I have, from left to right on the bingo board, markers (Copics on my image), fabric and lace (behind my embellishments), die cutting (oval shapes both manual and electronic), stamping (image) and mixed media (stencil and texture paste), chipboard (title), and metal (brads and faux metal look to the chipboard) and buttons and brads.

The theme of the album is travel and we certainly did a lot of flying on our trip so I had to add in the great resin plane embellie from Prima so I’m entering this in the current Fussy and Fancy challenge as planes have wings.

Our trip took in the beautiful Canada in the fall and even the USA too put on a lovely colour show of autumnal leaves so the leaf button seemed a fitting embellie to cover off both countries’ scenery.  With my button I’m entering this in Papertake Weekly’s current challenge picking the product theme.

To make the background a bit more special and fill the space rather than using more designer paper I opted for a lovely abstract flower stencil and some modelling paste.  I coloured the modelling paste using Distress Inks to make an olively green to match the designer paper I used.  I then added in some brads to give it some added texture that wouldn’t easily fall off as this is going to get handled, or at least I hope it will invite people to handle it and look inside.  Sweet Stamps has a challenge looking for stencils and paste so I am entering my project there.

To finish off my embellies I wanted something a bit bigger than the resin and button so decided to add a bit of interest and texture with some fabric and lace scraps ruched to form rosette style embellies.  I think they add just the right finishing touches and with them I am also entering my project in the current Try it on Tuesdays’ challenge.

Ingredients:
Copics
Skin E000, E00, E11, E21 (E02 cheeks)
Eyes E30, E35, 0
Lips R24, R29, R46
Hair E21, E23, E25, E27, E29
Outfit B91, B93, B95, B97, B99, N4, N6, N8, YG93, YG95, YG97, YG99, 100
Suitcases N4, N6, N8, Y21, Y23, Y26, Y28, YG01, YG03, YG05, YG07, 100
Chalks & Powders etc
Ranger Embossing Powder ~ Clear
Dies, SVGs & Templates etc
Spellbinders Nestabilities ~ Classic Scalloped Ovals & Opulent Ovals
Prima Stencil ~ Sunset Sunrise Flower
Embellishments
Creative Memories Alphabet Stickers ~ Blue & Crimson
Metal Brads from stash
Prima Ingvild Bolme ~ Explore Resins
Stickabilities ~ 7/16 Hand Drawn
Tim Holtz Idea-ology ~ Word Band
Inks & Paints etc
Prima Ingvild Bolme Chalk Ink ~ Rusty Bucket
Rub’n’Buff ~ Spanish Copper 
Tim Holtz Distress Ink ~ Evergreen Bough, Gathered Twigs, Mowed Lawn, Squeezed Lemon & Tea Dye


Papers
Bazzill Cardstock ~ Milkshake
BoBunny Double Dot ~ Maize Vintage
Creative Memories ~ Reminisce Travel
K&Company ~ Tim Coffey Travel
Tim Holtz Idea-ology ~ Collection Folio
Ribbons & Trims etc
Chiffon & Lace from stash
Stamps
Challenges
Craft Hoarders Anonymous ~ Choose Your Challenge (markers, fabric or lace, die cutting, stamping & mixed media (stencil & texture paste), chipboard (title) & metal (brads & faux metal look to chipboard), buttons & brads)

Thanks for stopping by!

9 comments:

  1. What a beautiful journal cover. Love the mix of pattern paper with the stamped image and the trail of flowers.
    Thanks for sharing with us at Craft Hoarders Anon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delightful project, with so many fab details! Love the pretty die- and your image and coloring are lovely. Thanks so much for joining us at the SweetStamps.com challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A super journal cover, looking forward to seeing the inside, thank you for joining us on the TIOT challenge hugs Bee

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful project! I love everything about it. Thanks for playing along in the January Challenge at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your fabulous journal cover! Thanks so much for joining in our challenge at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful journal cover, love the image and your coloring. Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a fun journal cover! I love the little green flowers...they lead my eye all the way down the page...and your mix of patterns is really fun! Thanks so much for sharing this with us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely card, thanks so much for joining us at TIOT! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love me a journal or a notebook! This is fantastic! Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous Challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments, I really appreciate you taking the time to let me know your thoughts (c: